BOC: Reaper on *another* soundtrack

Stephen Swann swann at MINDVOX.COM
Wed Jul 17 18:48:57 EDT 1996

Lurking Girl writes:

> Found this on PCN, in an article about how Hollywood is once again trying
> to drum up trade for movies with "hot" soundtracks.
>
> Copyright Pointcast Network, reproduced without permission, blah blah blah:
>
> 'The company [MCA/Universal] is also bowing "The Frighteners", with music
> composed by Danny Elfman.  The mostly instrumental disc will also boast a
> remake of Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper", performed by New
> Zealand's Mutton Birds.'
>
> (To make it more reassuring *ahem*, the movie is a sort of horror/comedy
> starring Michael J. Fox as an exorcist of sorts--he doesn't banish ghosts
> with bell, book, and candle, he seems to ignore them until they get
> bored.  Or something.  The preview wasn't real specific, go figure.)

Maybe I misunderstood the preview, but I thought the gist of it was
that he was friends with the ghosts, and he ran a scam with them where
he would get paid to "exorcise" his buddies... until the Bad Guy
shows up.

> Mutton Birds.  Riiiight.  Anyone heard of these noodles?  What kind of
> travesty might we be in for, here...?

I wonder if there's even the remotest connection with the last <cough>
"famous" BOC cover band from the underside of the planet, Radio
Birdman...?  Or are the names just a cosmically silly coincidence?

I'm already hearing vague echoes of the "Reaper" solo performed on a
digeridoo...  :-}  (yeah, yeah, AU <> NZ, I know, I know, but somebody
had to say it).

Steve
swann at panix.com