HW: was covers...now AD/VDGG

Keith A Henderson khenders at MAGNUS.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
Thu Jul 18 11:06:03 EDT 1996

Christian notices...

> Now I'm going totally off, but I've noticed that both Amon Duul UK and
> Van Der Graaf Generator have recorded "Olaf (Where's my $20.000?)" on
> compilations ("Air on a Shoestring" and "Now and Then"). This must be
> the same song! I like both bands, but have heard neither song, but I
> presume VDGG must have done it first since they broke up in the late
> 70s. Now if it were a co-incidence, I suppose it could be like a 1 in
> 1000000000000000000 chance, but.....
>
> Anybody?

OK, I didn't know this about that track, but I have the Airs on a Shoestring CD
which has the Olaf track on it.  It's a real nice 15 minute improv-type jam,
similar in style to the One moments anger.... piece on Hawk meets Penguin (it's
also on the Airs CD).  It (Olaf) makes the CD worth having-the Julie Waring
vocals on the other tracks are too much to take.  Anyway, the connection must
certainly be because Guy Evans was the Amon Duul (UK) drummer.  So I guess that
VDGG *did* in fact do the song originally - I don't remember what the writing
credits are, or even if they're listed on the disc/liner notes.  I'll check.

On this topic, does anyone here know what the Hawk and Penguin references are
for Amon Duul (UK)??  Long after Hawk meets Penguin came out, they did the Die
Losung album with Bob Calvert.  On the liner notes, it lists at the top, Hawk
and then Penguin, before listing the rest of the musicians.  I've always
assumed that 'Hawk' was Dave Anderson, and "Penguin" was John Weinzierl, but
I'm just guessing.  I don't even know if Weinzierl was around at that point.

Keith H. (FAA)

> PS! Oh yeah, they just showed the episode of the Young Ones over here
> where Neil indeed says "Why can't they play some Hawkwind or
> Marillion?"...

Yeah, I remember that one.  There was also the one where Motorhead performed,
but my favourite episode is the one where Neil cuts off half his hair, and
become a policeman.  During a drug bust, he's seen dragging a needle across a
poor unsuspecting vinyl record, before annoucing, 'Oh wow, Steve Hillage.'  I
thought that was cool.  (I think it was Electric Gypsises playing if I remember
correctly.)