Roswell Festival Update

Jon Browne jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Thu Jul 18 12:23:09 EDT 1996

In message <199607172105.RAA16927 at phantom.mindvox.com>, Stephen Swann
<swann at MINDVOX.COM> writes
>Uh, Jon, don't you run a comic shop?  Using the patrons of your shop
>as a sample of the "general populace" is going to give you a really
>skewed result.  :-)

You're absolutely right, it does and I wouldn't pretend otherwise.
What's more I'm in the UK so I couldn't possibly comment about the US
public *but* I still reckon this so called _fringe_ interest is in fact
a mainstream pre-occupation and has been for years, too. When I see the
yardage given over to X-Files and other UFO-related merchendise in
record shops (that don't usually carry books) like HMV, this has to
imply a large audience. Maybe I'm missing something, is the X-Files like
_huge_ in the US? (BTW I find the show utterly dull, sorry)

>"Most" people absolutely and totally don't give a shit about this
>stuff (heck, I only give a damn about it because it would get Hawkwind
>in front of a decently large U.S. audience).
I don't care because I've believed in Aliens for so long now I don't
even think about it and secondly, even if they landed in Washington, I'd
still have to go to work in the morning and I'd still have to pay my
mortgage!
> The promoter they hired
>is going to fuck it up, because the limited audience that would be
>interested in the event for the s/f (call it paranormal if you must)
>connection are typically not going to be fans of dance club music.
>
>I am tempted to to copy the "Science Fiction in Rock Music" FAQ to the
>promoter of this event.  It has a sizable Hawkwind entry (penned by
>me) and an *enormous* Hawkwind footnote, added independantly by Mike
>Holmes.  It quite rightly names Hawkwind the all-time consensus champs
>of s/f oriented rock.  Such an official looking document, DOWNLOADED
>HOT off the INFORMATION SUPERHIGHWAY, just might have enough buzz to
>make even an obvious dimwit like him sit up and take notice.

This sounds like a really good idea, actually. Really, Steve do it. He
might not even be a complete prick, you never know. He just hasn't heard
of Hawkwind.

I mean, I can understand that the guys want to make money. It's not the
first thing on my mind but I'm old enough to understand how things work.
I'm sure as well as getting the "real superstars" he will understand
that a Roswell festival should have, like, a bit of a theme!
Impress upon the guy that not *every* artist has to be a superstar like
Sheryl, that the event has a mix of acts, some which draw the crowds and
some which are highly related and will thrill and entertain, not to
mention ROCK, anyone put in front of them ! OK maybe they won't draw a
huge crowd but they'll sure as hell impress anyone who does see them.
--
Jon Browne