BOC: palm slashing

Thu Jul 18 13:59:45 EDT 1996

Chris responding to Theo:

>>   Also negative on the pro-pot rap, though I liked his
> preamble about writing to 'Mr. Carter in Wash...sign it 'Dear
> Jimmy...'

Is it the content or delivery of the message that you're opposed to?
I personally wish more people from the rock world had the balls to speak out on
government laws targeting recreational drug users.

Why should the rock world speak out against these particular laws?  Sure, maybe there
are lots of recreational drug users among musicians and their fans (and I'm not trying
to say that all rock musicians/fans are), but the people in the rock world, IMHO,
need to stick to putting out music - just 'cuz Eric Bloom may have smoked dope
(an assumption on my part - but if I was a betting man...) doesn't mean he is more
qualified to speak out on such laws than some non-musician who has (BTW - I'm not
trying to turn this into a question of whether or not Bloom is a "musician").  And,
even if you don't agree, and feel that musicians should speak out on these laws, do
you think the U.S. Government is going to pay alot of attention to rock stars speaking
out to support drug use?

Of course, perhaps my opinions are clouded by the fact that I'm not a recreational
drug user (not counting alchohol).

But - to each his/her own.

John