BOC: palm slashing

Chris Baxley Chris_Baxley at SONYMUSIC.COM
Fri Jul 19 14:05:09 EDT 1996

John writes:
> Why should the rock world speak out against these particular laws?  Sure,
maybe there
> are lots of recreational drug users among musicians and their fans (and I'm
not trying
> to say that all rock musicians/fans are), but the people in the rock world, I
MHO,
> need to stick to putting out music - just 'cuz Eric Bloom may have smoked dope
> (an assumption on my part - but if I was a betting man...) doesn't mean he is
more
> qualified to speak out on such laws than some non-musician who has

"Should" is a tricky word (and not one that I used.)  Why do I wish they
would?  Because
the laws are unjust and inconsistent (IMO),  and because people in rock have
the unique position
of being able to communicate to large numbers of people without  the excessive
caution that most politicians and others in the media spotlight must employ to
survive.

> Why should the rock world speak out against these particular laws?  ...
> people in the rock world, IMHO, need to stick to putting out music ...

Why should musicians stick to putting out music?

Why should anyone stick to anything?

> But - to each his/her own.

Agreed.

> John