HW: info on Magic Muscle album dates ?

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Fri Jul 19 21:26:43 EDT 1996

Chuck asks:

>        I just received in a trade taped copies of 3 Magic Muscle records,
>        dated from 1988 - 1991.  HW kollectors know that Simon House was an
>        occasional member of this group.  The titles are "Gulp", "The Pipe
>        the Roar the Grid", and "100 Miles Below" (I think that's right).
>
>        My question is, were these albums _really_ released in late 80s -
>        early nineties?  I thought that "Laughs & Thrills" was from 1972 or
>        thereabouts.  I'm wondering if my trader source put down the wrong
>        dates with the tracklist info...or perhaps these are the re-issue
>        dates on the CDs, rather than the original LP release dates.

I have _Gulp!_ on vinyl.  Unless memory fails, the sleeve notes indicate
this is definitely from the late 80s/early 90s (they wax poetic about
bringing a "new" drummer to the drum stool, and talk of the "original" MM
lineup).  The album is basically a "live studio jam" (a distillation of
about 3-4 hrs jamming), and includes such notables as Nick Saloman (a.k.a.
The Bevis Frond) and Simon House.

>        ObGoodPsych:  Magic Muscle "Gulp"

Agreed!!!!!

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Neil Young, _Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere_

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.