HW: videos and Estivals

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Sun Jul 21 21:09:52 EDT 1996

Paul Mather writes:

> On Sun, 21 Jul 1996, Duane Hoyt asks:
>
> > You could tell it was HW, and it began with a rehersal, and then it switched
> > to an outdoor stage, and the band was having some sort of "best tits" or
> > wet t-shirt contest. I couldn't tell what exactly cause everyone was fuzzy and
> > silver. Is this a very very old, badly recorded tape or is it in the wrong
> > format?  Hopefully it is the latter and I can have it switched.

> I think you just have a poor 2^Nth generation copy, alas.
>
> As for identifying the material, I'm afraid I can't help you there.  The
> wet t-shirt contest + outdoor gig suggests a biker festival to me; is it
> the Bristol Custom Bike Show? ;-)

I'm fairly sure Paul is right about the biker festival - it actually
sounds very much like the 1994 Derby Rock and Blues show at Pentrich.
There's an official video put out by the organisers but it only has
about 10-15 mins at the very end with Hawkwind plus the light show
followed by a Miss Wet T Shirt competition.    Strangely enough the
makers did not add the Mr Wet Y Fronts competition which followed
this....

My guess is that you either have a very poor quality copy where the
lightshow has fuzzed everything out (pity  - the original, if you can
find it is pretty good) or you've got a PAL format that isn't playing
well on NTSC (Never Twice The Same Colour - as I am informed).  It's
also possible that this is an NTSC video that someone has converted
from PAL but it hasn't converted well - this is a common problem too.

I really wish they'd put more of the Hawkwind gig onto this tape - it
really was a stunning show and the small snippet only tantalises the
memory.  Sigh.

So who's going to Langtree and where should we meet before the gig?   If
there's a beer tent shall we say meet there about an hour before the
band are due to go on stage - whenever that is?    That should still
give time to find a good position in front of the stage.    If there
isn't a beer tent...  heck I dunno.  Someone suggest something  8-)

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk