HW: videos and Estivals

Duane Hoyt aa5287 at FREENET.LORAIN.OBERLIN.EDU
Sun Jul 21 22:06:35 EDT 1996

Jill replies:

>Paul Mather writes:
>
>> On Sun, 21 Jul 1996, Duane Hoyt asks:
>>
>> > You could tell it was HW, and it began with a rehersal, and then it switched
>> > to an outdoor stage, and the band was having some sort of "best tits" or
>> > wet t-shirt contest. I couldn't tell what exactly cause everyone was fuzzy and
>> > silver. Is this a very very old, badly recorded tape or is it in the wrong
>> > format?  Hopefully it is the latter and I can have it switched.
>

>I'm fairly sure Paul is right about the biker festival - it actually
>sounds very much like the 1994 Derby Rock and Blues show at Pentrich.
>There's an official video put out by the organisers but it only has
>about 10-15 mins at the very end with Hawkwind plus the light show
>followed by a Miss Wet T Shirt competition.    Strangely enough the
>makers did not add the Mr Wet Y Fronts competition which followed
>this....

I will go back and check this tape for the exact songs and such. I presently
have it lent out to a freind who is trying to see if it is a format
problem or just a crappy tape.  As soon as I get it back I will post
the songs.

>My guess is that you either have a very poor quality copy where the
>lightshow has fuzzed everything out (pity  - the original, if you can
>find it is pretty good) or you've got a PAL format that isn't playing
>well on NTSC (Never Twice The Same Colour - as I am informed).  It's
>also possible that this is an NTSC video that someone has converted
>from PAL but it hasn't converted well - this is a common problem too.
>
>I really wish they'd put more of the Hawkwind gig onto this tape - it
>really was a stunning show and the small snippet only tantalises the
>memory.  Sigh.

There is no other bands on this tape, so if it is this show, it is edited.
I must confess I don't know how long this tape is, as I was so frustrated
watching a bunch of fuzzy silver people, that I shut it off rather quickly.
I'm beginning to think it is just a crap tape that has been copied so many
times it has lost all it's detail.

See ya,
Duane