HW: Future Reconstructions

Andy Gilham AndyGilham at AOL.COM
Tue Jul 23 08:19:02 EDT 1996

I bought this partly against my better judgment, i.e. the experience of the
track on the sampler (which I think is actually the weakest cut on the CD),
but it's not all that bad actually.

Too many of the tracks are pretty unrecognisable, which I suppose was
inevitable; it;s the least messed-about-with cuts that work best for me.  The
most "reconstructed" track I could really say I liked was Optic Eye's "Forge
of Vulcan" which is really soothing and cool.  Translucent's "Shouldn't Do
That" sounds just like "Trans-Europa Express"/"Metall auf Metall"...  Zion
Train's heavy dub "Damnation Alley" is also among the least altered, but it
was still a bit too much for me!

Astralasia's "Uncle Sam" was on the 1994 Quark EP, if my ears don't deceive
me.

I also liked the U-U-Utah Saints "Silver Machine" - it's got recognisable
guitar on it, for one thing!  Is this how it would have sounded if they'd had
1996 technology in 1972?  Deserves to be a freak top ten hit all over again,
anyway.

And then there's Dr Jest (Haggis from Senser)'s "Needle Gun"...  the
original's not one of my favourites, but this is quite decent!  Much the
least "reconstructed" cut on the album, it mostly adds a drum track and *more
guitar*!  Which can't be bad!

Don't know how many times I'll listen to it, though...

- Andy