HW : Solstice Reconstructions

Jon Browne jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Fri Jul 26 11:42:55 EDT 1996

In message <01BB7A57.FAFABB60 at dialin5.dundee.ac.uk>, Andy Cobley
<acobley at MIC.DUNDEE.AC.UK> writes
>You should have stuck it out "Uncle sams on Mars" should be released as a single
>right away.  Even "Damnation Alley" is fairly entertaining.  I'm not so keen on
>"Silver machine"
>and have never been a big fan of "Needle Gun" anyway.  I'll still have to listen
>to the other
>tracks again, I was some taken with USOM and Damnation I haven't played the
>other more than
>once and that was on horrible Multi-media PC speakers in the office.

Right, right. Actually, I feel a bit sheepish now as I've warmed a fair
bit to the whole album. The Utah Saints/Silver Machine absolutely ROCKS!
This is the cut that should be a single, the Saints being reasonably
well-known with radio listeners in the UK (and dead good!) the cheesey
DJ's would have a hook inasmuch as they'll know the song. Hell, the
radio listeners will know _that_ song. I think it'd have a v.good chance
of proper chart action! USOM has already been released as a single, a
couple of years ago. I believe it saw action in the Indie charts, and
what's more when I was in line at HMV to buy my copy, the guy in front
was buying it too!
Both formats too! (Readers note - This never happens!) Have any of you
ever been in a record shop and actually seen a stranger buying a HW
record?

As to yesterday's post, I think I succumbed to something that used to
happen to me a lot but hasn't for a few years, the "being a bit
dissapointed on first listen to the new Hawkwind album and then loving
it to bits three weeks later syndrome" :)

new rating   3 1/2 *** out of 5 *****   :)
--
Jon Browne