Best of HW covers & Assassins of Silence/Hundred Watt Violence

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Mon Jul 29 15:06:11 EDT 1996

On Mon, 29 Jul 1996, Doug wrote:

> >Hawkwind Covers Tapes *and* the 2LP covers compilation, _Assassins of
> >Silence/100 Watt Violence_ put out by Doug Bates.  The ones you don't
>
> I'd love to take credit for that wonderful LP, but in fact it was Doug
> Ceres (sp?). We did converse by email for a while after he left the list
> but I've lost his address. Now I'm rather fuzzy about his last name.

Oops, sorry.  I knew the 2LP was put out on Ceres Records by Doug
somebody, and I thought you were the somebody behind that outfit.  (I
know, flattery will get me everywhere...;)

> On a related note, I'd like to think Paul and I had a hand in naming a
> Brain Surgeons CD. There had been a few posts about the 13th Floor El-
> evators and I posted about Roky Ericson's method of obtaining enlighten-
> ment. Paul pefectly nailed the idea I tried to convey down to one word,
> Trepanation!

'Fraid I can't take the credit for that one.  Although familiar with the
decidely outre practice of trepanation beforehand, I'm sure it was Steve
Swann who first uttered that word as a suggestion for the Brain Surgeons
album.  At least that's when TBS were canvassing for suggestions.  Btw,
what *was* their original title that they dropped in favour of
_Trepanation_?  Or are they keeping it for the upcoming release?

One of my suggestions was _Into the Hippo Campus_, for when they release a
live album recorded before the cheering millions at a university (Virginia
Tech, natch;), and would feature a reprise of the _Eponymous_ cover

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.