BOC: Short Sets

Stephen Swann swann at MINDVOX.COM
Mon Jul 29 16:18:38 EDT 1996

Joseph M. Lofft writes:

> While we are on the topic of short sets, lets not forget the last buffalo
> appearance:
>
> Stairway
> Before the Kiss
> ETI
> The Vigil
> Burin
> Godzilla
> Reaper
>
> That was it....
>
> Consider yourself lucky that you were able to hear Shooting Shark,
> Harvest Mood, and ...Last Days of May.

Actually, I would have counted myself lucky to see that short show
with The Vigil.  I saw BOC something like 6 or 7 times in Buffalo,
between 1983 and 1994, and they played practically an identical set
every time (actually, not true - the RbN tour featured some songs that
I've never seen since, like Black Blade). The songs that I most wanted
to see were Astronomy and Last Days of May - I had to wait until last
year in North Carolina to see the latter, and I have NEVER seen
Astronomy.  The Vigil is one that I had long ago given up even the
hope of seeing...

I seem to be odds with most fans on this one, but I just don't wet
myself over "Stairway to the Stars", or even "The Red and the Black".
I would much rather hear stuff like Quicklime Girl, Wings Wetted Down,
7 Screaming Diz Busters, Death Valley Nights, Astronomy, Last Days of
May, Hot Rails to Hell, etc, etc.  Of that entire list, I've seen one
of those songs.  Once.  Actually, of the last BOC show, the highlights
for me were Last Days of May (at last!), and Baby Ice Dog, of all
things!  Why BID, although it's not one of my all-time faves?  Because
it was fresh, and not worn thin with thousands of repetitons.  The
band seemed to be MUCH more energized when playing it than when they
were playing their 10,000th "Reaper".  That made all the difference.

Wow, did this ramble off topic or what?  :)

Steve
swann at panix.com