Ranting sacred cows

Mike Parkington mdp at TADPOLE.CO.UK
Wed Jul 31 16:01:31 EDT 1996

Not so much a sacred cow, rather a sad old donkey. Mike Moorcock's "rantings" are a constant source of embarrassment. After having told somebody how Hawkwind are the "bogs dollocks" and how you have been into them for years and years etc etc, they eventually succumb and listen to the first Hawkwind album they can lay their eager hands on (Warrior on the Edge). To their amazment they then hear this deranged geezer bleating on about horses weeping blood and whatever else and think that either
a. they are the victim of an elaborate practical joke or
b. you are clinically insane
Either way they avoid you for the rest of time and tell everyone you are a barking mad weirdo.

So on my list it would be something like my 5th favorite.... My favorite
HW album is the super sleek and stylish "Quark Strangeness & Charm".
Yes, I'm one of those people who doesen't think "Warrior..." is all it's
cracked up to be (but there are some great tunes there inbetween
Moorcock's shouting and ranting, i.e. Dying Seas, Assault & Battery,
Spiral Galaxy 28948). Anybody else share my opinion, or am I like
attacking a sacred cow here?

Are there any good Eloy compilations?

Christian