BOC & Olympics

Bryan Irby irby at CRUX.ASTR.UA.EDU
Wed Jul 31 18:51:46 EDT 1996

> > It's hard to envision Allen as a Johnny Reb.  Not too rosy cheeked or
> > robust, that lad.  Looks like a Yankee for sure.  And, well,
> > politically, he's a nightmare for the south...
> > theo
> >

> Why is he a political nightmare to the South?  Are Allen's political views
> pretty liberal?

And speaking as a "Johnny Reb", be careful whom you stereotype as non-
liberal.  I was born in NC and have lived below the Mason-Dixon line most
of my life, and all of my family and most of the southern people I've
ever met have been quite liberal.  I usually don't take offense at the
stereotypes, but I think it's kind of sad the way that one has been
perpetuated, especially since I've encountered that kind of provincial
stereotype and more open conservatism in other parts of the country,
particularly California.

Of course, despite all that, I still can't explain how Jesse Helms has
managed to stay in office for so damn long without admitting there's
obviously some large, unpleasant portion of the NC population who want
him there.  But I think that's changing.

Sorry for the off-topic.

-Bryan