BOC & Olympics

Bryan Irby irby at CRUX.ASTR.UA.EDU
Wed Jul 31 19:08:40 EDT 1996

> > Why is he a political nightmare to the South?  Are Allen's political views
> > pretty liberal?
> >
> > Manuel &
> >
> I was thinking just 'cause he played in a crazy Yankee rock band
> with Satanic references and all!  But I imagine he is on the left
> side of the aisle.  Also, he looks like a Yankee drug abuser, long
> hair type.

Ah, yes, but most of the (southern) rednecks I've known in my life were devout
fans of heavy metal, long hair, and lots and lots and lots of drugs.

In fact, a lot of the people I knew in high school near Charlotte were
very big into the Grateful Dead, BOC, and Iron Maiden all at the same time.
At first that seemed contradictory to me, but they were actually quicker
to broaden and liberalize their music horizons than I was.

It was the parents and high school principals who were scared of people
like BOC.  In fact, my brother and his friends were once taken to the
principals office and confronted by the local police who accused them
of conducting satanic rituals because they wore black BOC (and the like)
tshirts and had long hair etc.   My brother and his friends laughed, and
said "Sure, we sacrifice goats every friday night out on [Goat Island] on
Lake Norman".   We never checked, but I imagine the cops and the local
baptist church leaders were staked out on the island that friday night,
hoping to score a big victory for the righteous...

Here's hoping that generation is slowly dispersing from positions of power.

-Bryan