BOC & Olympics

Ted Jackson jr. EL 84 TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Wed Jul 31 20:15:11 EDT 1996

> > > It's hard to envision Allen as a Johnny Reb.  Not too rosy cheeked or
> > > robust, that lad.  Looks like a Yankee for sure.  And, well,
> > > politically, he's a nightmare for the south...
> > > theo
> > >

> > Why is he a political nightmare to the South?  Are Allen's political views
> > pretty liberal?
>

> And speaking as a "Johnny Reb", be careful whom you stereotype as non-
> liberal.  I was born in NC and have lived below the Mason-Dixon line most

Bryan!  No offense intended.  I wouldn't have used the rebel
reference if I hadn't followed it with 'Yankee.'

> of my life, and all of my family and most of the southern people I've
> ever met have been quite liberal.  I usually don't take offense at the
> stereotypes, but I think it's kind of sad the way that one has been
> perpetuated, especially since I've encountered that kind of provincial
> stereotype and more open conservatism in other parts of the country,
> particularly California.

Hell, there's plenty of Limbaugh fans up here, for sure.  No one part
of the country has a lock on conservatism.  BTW, Bryan, I love
visiting the south.  Just got back from Florida, which I know has a
lot of transplanted Yankees, and everyone was great there.  Loved it.
My ex-boss is from Tennesee, and we got along great [though she's as
conservative politically as you can get, sorry!]

> Of course, despite all that, I still can't explain how Jesse Helms has

My boss [see above] used to babysit his kids!  I swear!  And house
sit for him.  Her old man was in the service, and they were stationed
in Jesse's neck of the woods.  They were neighbors, can ya believe it?

> managed to stay in office for so damn long without admitting there's
> obviously some large, unpleasant portion of the NC population who want
> him there.  But I think that's changing.

Hey, we supposedly politically knowledgeable Yankees voted out a
decent, patrician, eloquent liberal like Mario Cuomo for a mean-
spirited dirtbag like George Pataki, so think nothing of it!

> Sorry for the off-topic.
>
> -Bryan

Sorry for pissing you off!  Too heavy-handed in my humor that time.
Didn't mean to hurt your feelings.
theo