BOC & Olympics

Ted Jackson jr. EL 84 TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Wed Jul 31 20:22:20 EDT 1996

> > > Why is he a political nightmare to the South?  Are Allen's political views
> > > pretty liberal?
> > >
> > > Manuel &
> > >
> > I was thinking just 'cause he played in a crazy Yankee rock band
> > with Satanic references and all!  But I imagine he is on the left
> > side of the aisle.  Also, he looks like a Yankee drug abuser, long
> > hair type.
> >

> Ah, yes, but most of the (southern) rednecks I've known in my life were devout
> fans of heavy metal, long hair, and lots and lots and lots of drugs.
>
> In fact, a lot of the people I knew in high school near Charlotte were
> very big into the Grateful Dead, BOC, and Iron Maiden all at the same time.
> At first that seemed contradictory to me, but they were actually quicker
> to broaden and liberalize their music horizons than I was.

Right!  BOC, and a lot of other heavy bands actually had their first
big successes in the south and midwest, far from the liberal
northeast.  It's safe to assume that the kids found the oppression of
the older generation and their false morality just the thing to rebel
[ouch] against, and heavy rock provided the sound they needed...

> It was the parents and high school principals who were scared of people
> like BOC.  In fact, my brother and his friends were once taken to the
> principals office and confronted by the local police who accused them
> of conducting satanic rituals because they wore black BOC (and the like)
> tshirts and had long hair etc.   My brother and his friends laughed, and
> said "Sure, we sacrifice goats every friday night out on [Goat Island] on
> Lake Norman".   We never checked, but I imagine the cops and the local
> baptist church leaders were staked out on the island that friday night,
> hoping to score a big victory for the righteous...
>
> Here's hoping that generation is slowly dispersing from positions of power.
>
> -Bryan
And, there were plenty of southern rockers who were longhairs
[Allmans, Skynyrd] and became heroes throughour the south.  Even
Jimmy Carter liked the Allmans, though that became a political
liability for him...
theo