OFF : sig.

Andrew A. Apold mordru at MAGG.NET
Wed Jun 5 16:31:07 EDT 1996

>> My question: Since Brock was clearly not the sole inventor of the Hawkwind
>> phenomenon, what gives him exclusive rights to the name?
>
>        Well, being the only continuous member (depsite occasional brockless
>gigs) works on the moral side, but the actual issue is legal.  People
>can own the legal right to use the name (thus Iommi hangs on to the
>Sabbath name, and Waters didn't manage to shoot down Gilmour and Co's
>right to the Floyd name).
>        Remember, Brock even lost the right to the name in the Hawklords
>era--it was controlled by the record company.
>
>        Probably DS actually owns the name now ;) so whoever he says is
>HW is Hawkwind ;)

The way I understand it, you have to keep using a name to retain the
rights to it.  Therefor, after a certain time the name was no longer
owned by a record company.  If Nik wanted to contest the name,  he'd
have had to do so from the start.  Once Brock started using it again,
he had the rights to it.

What's more, as much as I  hate to side with Doug on this, they're right
in legally blocking "Nik Turner's Hawkwind".  If they don't block it now,
they lose exclusive rights to its use...
Andrew A. Apold, aka                        "I was corrupt before I had power!"
Roger Shrubstaff                                 - Random, upon being accused
Guildmaster of Reeves                          of being corrupted since
Barony of Silverwater                             becoming King....
Kingdom of the Burning Lands                (Roger Zelazny, d. 1995)