off: Dead (was Re: off: Phish?)

Chris Bates C.D.Bates at SHEFFIELD.AC.UK
Fri Jun 7 04:14:59 EDT 1996

Rob asked:

>     This may sound strange to some of you, but apart from the
>   'Twilight Zone' tune I've never heard anything by Grateful Dead.
>   What should I start with?

Depends what sort of music you like really. They did the famous
psychedelic freak-out bit, had a country/blue-grass phase, went
a touch like Steely Dan in the mid-late '70s. *Live-Dead* is the
one must-buy, the ultimate psych freak live album, also good
is *Without A Net* from their late 80s early 90s period as biggest
live band in the world. as for studio albums well I'd say
*Terrapin Station*, *Blues for Allah* and *Shakedown Street* are
safe bets (i.e. not too adventurous!).

BTW where can I get a Dead tie to go with the pin-stripe suit I
wear to the office?

Chris