Tim doesn't FTR

Christian Mumford mumford at EUNET.NO
Fri Jun 7 06:14:58 EDT 1996

Andrew A. Apold wrote:

> >True.  But IMHO that's different from a "real" death.  I mean, everyone
> >who pays to watch deaths on cinema/TV know that it isn't real, no matter
> >how good the special effects are.  And, I don't believe in general they
> >watch specifically because they are interested in death.  They may be
> >interested in the stories created which cause these deaths, or they
> >may be interested in seeing gore, but I don't think they are specifically
> >going to see death.
>
> Ever seen one of those "Faces of Death" videos?  Nothing but real
> death, electrocutions, police killed by a gator, a vaction camcorder
> of a beheading in Arabia, hangings, etc.  There's so successful
> that they are now up to the 9th installment of the series, and imitation
> videos are showing up from other companies.  A recent one had a
> guy who blew his brains out with a gun, some politician who was about
> to go down, on tape....

I saw that one and it really bothered me for a long time... my mates
kept running it over and over, laughing at it, and I thought man, you
would't be laughing if it was you... Its fine to accept that we all die,
but mocking it that way really shows how fucking scared one really is
underneath. I think its a primal instinct within us to react with
fear/disgust when we see stuff like that, but people have become so
desenzitized from media to think shit like that's cool... unless the
face of death looks them in the eyes, they wouldn't think it was so damn
funny..... not that I don't enjoy a good splatter flick, but at least
its not real....

christian