Choose Your Masques & Sonic Attack

Guido Vacano gvacano at BEAVER.MBB.WESLEYAN.EDU
Mon Jun 10 17:37:32 EDT 1996

Doc Mather from Blacksburg :-) says--

> On Sat, 8 Jun 1996, Guido wrote:
>
> > are available on a compilation (Angels of Death?). Your best bet is to
> > prowl around the used LP stores (which may, or may not, be common in
> > Norway :-) ). They sure are rare here in Virginia. :-P
>
> Hey, speak for yourself!! :-)  All dirt roads may indeed lead to
> Blacksburg, but the local downtown shop---The Record Exchange---is
> turning out to be a *mighty fine* record emporium; plenty of new & used
> CDs, LPs, and cassettes.  In fact, 90% of my purchases over the last few
> months have been from their used CD bins; some great finds, let me tell
> you.

Well, I may have to come down there and check it out. The only used LP/CD
place I know of around here is Plan 9, and they're pretty forgettable (at
least, by Denver/Boulder CO standards).

A graduate student in the lab, who is a VA native, tells me that
Charlottesville and Blacksburg are really cool, and that Richmond is a
pit. And I had to end up in the pit! :-P :-)

> > obSAMEol'SAMEol'--Load by Metallica
>
> Yup, got to agree there.  I'm hoping it will improve on repeated listens,
> but so far it appears to be largely a retread of "the black album."

A couple tunes are a bit heavier (or louder), but there's certainly
nothing unique or novel on it.

> > obJUVENILEbandMEMBERphotos--Load by Metallica (aren't these guys too old
> >         for that kind of "we're tough street scum" posturing?)
>
> Yeah, I almost laughed out loud at some of those photos.

And Lars Ulrich is looking pretty squirrelly these days, no? :-)

> Mind you, I
> loved the 70s-fashion-victim look; reminded me of some of the BOC promo
> shots in the Goldmine article---an homage, maybe? :-)

Anything's possible. :-)

Guido

obCDplayer--Turbulent Indigo by Joni Mitchell

--

The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao.
The Name that can be named is not the eternal Name.