OFF:Jesus Saves

Alex S. Garcia artefact at IMAGINET.FR
Thu Jun 13 15:27:39 EDT 1996

Guido says :

>I don't think Christians are generally TOLERANT, never mind respectful, of
>the beliefs of others. They're far more interested in imposing their
>beliefs on others.

Uh... hello ? is somebody in there ? Come on, seriously, have you never felt
so thrilled by something that you wanted everyone to know about it ?
Wouldn't you like everybody to listen to BOC or HW ? Have you never talked
with tons of passion about your favorite bands or hobbies to some of your
friends who couldn't care less ? This is what is driving Christians. Add to
that the belief in the proximity of the End of the World and the will to try
and save as many as possible, and maybe you'll understand why *most*
Christians seem to be trying to "impose"... in truth, "real" Christians
don't try to impose anything. They'll talk to you about their beliefs a lot,
to a point where it might seem like they are trying to impose something, but
in truth they are only trying to explain things, not to oblige you in any
way. Religion must be a choice you make in your life. No one has ever found
faith FORCED by anyone. It must come to you in your heart, it must be
genuine, and if someone forces it into you, then it cannot be genuine. So
please don't be so quick to judge.

As for Christians not being tolerant... Well, in truth it depends. As you
must know there are many different "paths" in religion (Catholics, Baptists,
Witnesses of Jehovah, you name it), and it really depends who you are
talking to. Some of these "paths" are, you are right, not very tolerant. But
usually, a "true" Christian should be tolerant because that's what the Bible
is all about : respect.

>As for bashing Christianity, in the U.S. we still
>have a Constitutionally protected right to free speech (despite the
>best efforts of fanatical Christians who "know" what's best for us). If
>you think a song (or book, or movie, or whatever) is offensive, don't
>listen to it, read it, or watch it. Show a little respect for those who
>DON'T think Christianity is the best thing since buttered toast.

Free speech, sure. I think free speech is a great thing, but it's not a
reason to abuse it. There's a huge difference between giving your opinion
and "bashing". The first is a personal view, which everyone should respect,
the second is unrespectful junk.

Alex S. Garcia.

ARTEFACT EDITIONS (http://www.imaginet.fr/~artefact/index.htm)
Generation Scenario
      (la revue de l'ecriture scenaristique / the magazine of screenwriting)
      http://www.imaginet.fr/~artefact/genscen/genscen.htm