HW:space bandits- was: my belief is better than yours....

Chris Bates C.D.Bates at SHEFFIELD.AC.UK
Tue Jun 18 04:26:06 EDT 1996

Dunae wrote:

> I feel that the one thing Brock has been able to do is take an average
> talented musician, and use their skills to the utmost to create the best
> spacerock ever heard. HLL is a quite good player/writer, and his solo stuff
> is very listenable, it does not aspire to the level of his work with HW.

Huw has always been one of my favourite ax-slingers. He's got a
unique style, was very complementary sounding in HW. He's melodic
but can be symphonic and pompous (which I like) and his sound
is great. Also I love his white Les Paul custom :-) The only
problem I have with him is that he can't sing - and he should stop
trying now!

> Each HW member alone could not be considered a great musician, but it's
> like Brainstorming, the end result is a conglomeration of the talents
> of all the players.

A most excellent observation. And true of very many rock acts. Who ever
improved by going solo? Solo albums are always worse than band albums.

Chris