HW: HW/Ozrics

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Mon Jun 24 08:13:27 EDT 1996

> Are either band progressive?  I think they're both marginal.  The Ozrics
> have the instrumental virtuosity and long instrumentals; Hawkwind have
> continually progressed during their career, and have the "rock theatre"
> approach.  But neither have the classical/jazz influence, the non-standard
> time signatures, or the heavy reliance on keyboards or non-standard
> instrumentation that seems more central to prog-rock.

        As an added comment, I think the Ozrics are stagnating a bit these
days.  They still turn out good albums and shows (I quite enjoyed them
at Brixton, and I enjoyed _Become the Other_, most recent album) but there
aren't any surprises.  I find Hawkwind is still capable of surprising me
in terms of song choices in concert (brixton: case in point!) and in
terms of playing style.  Sometimes, I think their latest directions
sucks the big burning bouncy bubonic one, but there's always a good
chance that that their next move will be cool.

Cheers,
Carl

Carl Edlund Anderson                           "So that's Terra.  Oohwee,
cea20 at cus.cam.ac.uk                             look out wenchlings, here
http://wjh-www.harvard.edu/~canders/hem.html    come the Hawklords."
cea20 at cus.cam.ac.uk                                -Lord Lemmy (Hawkwind)