OFF: Finding music

Guido Vacano gvacano at BEAVER.MBB.WESLEYAN.EDU
Wed Jun 26 17:56:31 EDT 1996

Paul says--

> Heck, IMHO, I say dump *everything* together and categorise it
> alphabetically.  It would make *my* life a lot easier, at any rate.  For
> example, a while ago I thought my local shop had removed their "Hawkwind"
> divider from the "Rock" section of the shelves (where it had been).  Boo,
> hoo, I thought, until, a couple of visits later, I discovered it had
> simply been moved to the "Garage, Surf 'n' Psychedelia" section (wherein
> I was looking for some Bevis Frond).

Hawkwind seems to end up in "heavy metal" sometimes, "rock" sometimes, etc.

> In a similar vein, I always have to
> check the "Jazz", "New Age", and "World Music" sections when looking for
> stuff by Shankar, just to be sure (since his stuff appears to be randomly
> filed amongst those three areas).

Speaking of whom, tell me more about Material (by private email) if you'd
be so kind. :-)

> Filing everything together, alphabetically, would also (IMHO) increase the
> chance of someone stumbling across something interesting, and thereby
> increasing their musical horizons (and the record shop's sales).

I like that idea. I won't have to walk so far when I'm in one of those
Bach/Black Sabbath moods. :-)

Guido

obCDplayer--A Handful of Beauty by Shakti
obCDplayer--Siamese Dream by Smashing Pumpkins

--
If nothing is done, then all will be well.  -- Lao Tse