HW: Summer Solstice in Cleveland

Duane Hoyt aa5287 at FREENET.LORAIN.OBERLIN.EDU
Thu Jun 27 06:36:35 EDT 1996

>I thought I'd post a short review of what went on last Saturday night at the
>Phantasy Night Club in Cleveland, OH.  I've waited a few days, so as not to
>take your attention away from all the fabulous reviews of the Brixton &
>Guildford HW shows... :)
>
>Synth intro
>Choose Your Masques
>Orgone Accumulator
>The 5th Second Of Forever
>Dust of Time

I must say that this song was the highlight of the set, very well done.

>The Demented Man
>Starflight
>Ejection
>Heads
>The Watcher
>Free Fall
>Robot
>Uncle Sam's on Mars
>'Urban Guerilla/Lord of Light' jam
>Hassan I Sahba
>
>Highlights for me were the 'T5SoF/DoT' excerpt from Levitation....brilliant!!
>and the Choose Your Masques intro (I don't think they did this one before).

They did CYM at the Feb. show if I am not mistaken.

>came on periodically.  Stew Orr (the Wizard) was there again, trying to light
>the stage afire, and making it generally very warm in the club....I wish he
>would come up with some new tricks, or change his name to the 'Arsonist' or
>something - it's a bit old now.  And the 'artist' that was there in February

It was way too hot in there for the fireball guy. He started to get very
annoying after about the 25th time he "poofed" a fireball. I thought he
was going to catch himself on fire, which at first did not seem to be a
good thing, after he became annoying, we were kinda hoping that it happened
just to get him to go away.  THis efect lost it's appeal very quickly,
and there is no need for him to be doing this during EVERY song that was
played. HW has fireaters, but I believe they only perform during a couple
songs, not the entire setlist!
Actually, I am convinced that "Stew" was casting spells during the fire
performance. Is he a wizard in the sense of white or black magic?

>I couldn't hang around much past midnight as I had to head westward, so I only
>stayed for about 20 minutes of the F/i set.  I had seen them on NYE anyway, and
>thought that they were only average.  Nothing's changed in my mind about them -
>they still do the same heavy, slow, grundgy, instrumental material with their
>own psychedelic flair.  Doesn't excite me all that much.

I concur on this also. For what they do, it's well done, and sounds good,
but I couldn't help but think that each song lacked any developement.
Every song sounded like a very long intro and ended instead of continuing into
the main body of the song. It got boring fast. Then again, by this time the
human fireball had really gotten on our nerves, and this affected my
enjoyment of the real performers on stage.

>I saw a few folks I knew, like Jim Collins and Mike from Chicago (ToE folks),
>Scott and Louise, of course, Rick S. who's a list member, and I met Duane there
>as well, but couldn't talk long as I had to take off.  I thought I may have
>seen Wylie at one point, but then I never saw that person again.  It's a small
>place, so you can't hardly miss someone.

Pleased to meetcha!
It's good to put a face on the names of people I talk to in here. I apologize
for not being very talkative, as I was suffering the effects of some fungi
that I had devoured earlier;-)
I am in the process of arranging to get soundboard tapes of this show and
the Feb. show. I'll keep everyone posted on this if it happens.

Oh, a question for all on the list. There was a concert poster on display
from HW's ASAM tour. It was red letters in a "Germanic"style. Does anyone
now were I can get one? If anyone has one for sale, drop me a line with
what it would cost, etc.

See ya,

Duane

--