HW: everything there is to know

Rudich, Robert A Rudich at VOLPE2.DOT.GOV
Thu Mar 28 10:48:00 EST 1996

>Ghost Dance - from a certain rebel indian tribe (details?)

>certain tribe?  rebel? Hmmmm.  The ghost dance was a ritual dance which
>was supposed to get rid of the white man completely, its followers were
>basically going to dance until that happened.  It gained momentimum,
 spread >throughout reservations in the remnants of indian tribes in the
great plains, until it
>was brutally quelled by the U.S. army (did they actually fear something?),
it's leaders
>imprisoned or killed... It is viewed as a classic response by a society
facing >annihilation, I remember it from a sociology class. I think there
was another song by >'Simple Minds' on the same topic...

>Andrew A. Apold,

The Ghost Dance was supposed to raise the dead warrior spirits who would
then go into the live warriors bodies and render them invincible to the
weapons of the white man.   The Battle at Wounded Knee was where the dance
empowered Indians attacked as the 1st step to remove the blight from their
land.   Never got to the 2nd step due to acute lead poisoning.

Space Rock from Cambridge - "Ossian's Ride" by Carl (Wah Wah) Anderson's
unpronounceable band (maybe if you're Swedish it is) should be on the play
list.  I heard the version before his sister got at it and it is really
good.  With space noise added, can't go wrong.

Rudy