BOC: Albert/Rick transition in UK

M.R.VARLEY m.r.varley at UCLAN.AC.UK
Thu May 2 08:50:21 EDT 1996

> I've not heard Rick's FULL first show, but I have an aud tape of Alberts last
> show, 08/18/81, Norfolk Pavillion, West Runton, UK.
>
> Albert apparently either ran into traffic, got lost or had bad instructions
> to the venue.  Regardless, he arrived REALLY late.  The show had started and
> Rick played drums on the first 4 or 5 songs.  The Albert arrived and took
> over.
>
> At this show, Cities was played as an encore!  Apparently, when its' turn
> came in the setlist, Albert hadn't arrived yet, so they skipped it.
>
> The show itself is nothing special, it's memorable only as being Albert's
> last as a member of BOC.
>
> R.
>
> BTW, according to Bolle's tapelist, there was an 08/19/81 show was at the
> Venue In London (Apparently Rick's first FULL show).  There was an 08/20/81
> show in Dunstable and the Donnington show was 08/22/81.

I was at the London Venue show (they played as Soft White Underbelly
both there and at Norfolk, as 'secret'(ish) warm-ups for Donnington).
Albert played at London for the entire set.

I also saw them at Donnington (Rick's first full show) three days
later - that was a Monsters of Rock thing and they were about 3rd on
the bill so it was a shorter set anyway. Nevertheless the difference
between Donnington (poor show) and London (excellent) was
interesting! I remember a picture in 'Sounds' (now-defunct Brit music
paper) of Eric being annoyed after Donnington and jumping on a
silver disc award or something similar!

Martin