Another review of *Trepanation*

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Fri May 3 09:15:01 EDT 1996

> > I agree with half of this. Overwrought, yes. Rare, no. Just my 2 cents
> > worth... From reading the list I assume most fans would disagree with me.
> > If means anything, I bought all 3 BS works and I plan to buy the next.
>
> Well, I recall when _Eponymous_ first made its rounds on this list, Deb's
> vocals came in for a bit of a drubbing.  They seem to have been an
> "acquired taste" for several people, and I agree.

        I honestly can't remember precisely what I thought of the album
let alone the vocals when I first got it.  But after seeing the live
act, even minus Hilfiger on a miniscule stage with a 30 minute set I
was pretty blown away.
        I find it's often the case that it takes a live performance to
really wake me up to the music of a band.  I had barely _noticed_
my infamously favorite "TWTCOY" until the live show!  I was completely
blown away :)

> Deb's vocals become more of an additional *instrument*
> than simply a narrative delivery device.  Like I said, we're not used to
> this sort of thing in "rock music" so it doesn't exactly sit comfortably
> with the listener on early listening, being outwith their experience and
> expectations.  Some never get used to it.

        I find that's what I really look for in vocals, far more than
the words.  I'd much rather hear something with character of it's own.
That's why I think current Sabs singer Tony Martin is so lame--yeah, he's
actually got a finer voice than Ozzy, but it is *so* generic. Dull, dull,
dull.  I find Deb's vocals interesting because of the vast range in pitch
and tone (and speed with which they switch from one place to another)--
I won't attempt gathering the extra surreality points by comparing her to
King Diamond ;) but I will say that her use of voice reminds me of
Bjo:rk, back when she was in rock bands like Kukl and the early 'Cubes
as opposed to rather saccharine dance music she churns out now.  There's
that same sense of voice-as-instrument, and range in tone and pitch.

        Plus, I think this complements Al's voice very well.  Al also has
a strange voice which is highly effective in certain situations and
especially when paired with Deb's.  The "rise & reverberate" section on
"My Civilization" is a case in point.

> Mind you, all this is from someone who listens to Tuvan throat singers,
> so your mileage may vary... ;-)

        For a totally unrelated side comment, my sister recently went to
see some Tuvan throat singers immediately after she had finished broadcasting
a Motorhead special at her college radio station.  She remarked that she
thought there were some amazing parallels even in the Tuvans didn't seem
to be utterly wired on speed and Carlsberg Special Brew ... ;)

Cheers,
Carl