OFF: 80s hair farmers

Douglas A Mitchell DwnTheMtn at AOL.COM
Wed May 8 03:09:15 EDT 1996

Theo:

>>>The 80's were a pretty bad period for rock music in general,
>>>I think (despite the fact that they got off to an absolutely ripping
>>>start, with albums like Blizzard of Oz, Heaven and Hell, Fire of
>>>Unknown Origin, Blackout, Number of the Beast, Screaming for
>>>Vengeance, Back In Black, etc etc etc).  Somehow, that degen-
>>>erated into a big-hair teeny-bopper metal fest that lasted until
>>>the end of the decade.

>>Mindcrime...OK, Queensryche may be a bit dodgy, but I wouldn't
>>call any of the others "big-hair teeny-bopper"!  So I'd maintain that
>>the good stuff was there, although maybe the LA sleaze bands like
>>Poison, and the unspeakable Ratt and their ilk, dominated the
>>airwaves, especially in America.  Personally I blame Kiss.

>Kiss planted the virus, but, sadly, Van Halen turned it into a
>pandemic, which, given Ed's monumental talents, is a crying
>shame.  If they'd only fired Dave BEFORE they made it big
>and gotten a real lyricist...who knows, but, although I like a
>lot about him, it appears they've rpeated the mistake with
>Sammy.  I guess we shouldn't expect Ed to play BOC
>songs, if he's happy being a giant party band

I have always, when discussing music with knowledgable friends,
maintained that I am waiting for the day that Mr. Van Halen finally
locks the doors to 5150, and puts his best thoughts "down digital."

Here's an interesting note:

I have it on very good authority that the Buckster's favorite
contemporary guitarist is - you guessed it - Eddie.  Now
THAT would be a great album!  Buck & Eddie doing duet...

"The Snowman"           _?_     Tuned in to life's essentials...
Douglas A. Mitchell        I         Skiing, Backpacking, & the
                                                mighty Blue Oyster Cult!
Home:  dwnthemtn at aol.com
Office:  dmitch at microscan.com         WE UNDERSTAND...

"They're OK the last days of May, but I'll be breathin' dry air,
I'm leaving soon, the others are already there...Wouldn't be
interested in coming along, instead of staying here?  It said
the West is nice this time of year, that's what they say."

                                       --- Donald 'Buck Dharma' Roeser