Other: Big Buck CD Players

Douglas A Mitchell DwnTheMtn at AOL.COM
Fri May 17 01:18:11 EDT 1996

Dave:

>>Try running any of the above through an inefficient or poor
>>quality pair of speakers, and then upgrade...

>I'm not sure what you're getting at, to be honest.  Obviously
>upgrading speakers will improve a system.  I'm saying that
>upgrading the amp will improve it just as much.  I heard the
>differences between the amps I mentioned using my old
>speakers, before I upgraded them (Old: Celestion DL6mkII;
>New: Mission 752).

Nothing much, really.  We're pretty much in agreement that a
solid amplifier anchors a quality system.  Here we are in that
old "apples & oranges" zone again.  Play any of them through
a sub-standard pair of cones, and you'll just get higher quality
rattle & hum.  Still, can't argue with the logic & reality present
in the issue of amp efficiency & clarity.  I've always liked the
automobile analogy; if you buy a Hyundai, you're definitely
going to notice the step up when you get behind the wheel of
that Lexus.  And when you finally sit down in the back seat
of the Rolls, well...

Yes, I'd much rather listen to the Levinson... =)

"The Snowman"           _?_     Tuned in to life's essentials...
Douglas A. Mitchell        I         Skiing, Backpacking, & the
                                                mighty Blue Oyster Cult!
Home:  dwnthemtn at aol.com
Office:  dmitch at microscan.com         WE UNDERSTAND...

"They're OK the last days of May, but I'll be breathin' dry air,
I'm leaving soon, the others are already there...Wouldn't be
interested in coming along, instead of staying here?  It said
the West is nice this time of year, that's what they say."

                                       --- Donald 'Buck Dharma' Roeser