Other: Big Buck CD Players

Stephen Swann swann at PHANTOM.COM
Fri May 17 08:58:40 EDT 1996

Douglas A Mitchell writes:

> Dave:
>
> >>Try running any of the above through an inefficient or poor
> >>quality pair of speakers, and then upgrade...
>
> >I'm not sure what you're getting at, to be honest.  Obviously
> >upgrading speakers will improve a system.  I'm saying that
> >upgrading the amp will improve it just as much.  I heard the
> >differences between the amps I mentioned using my old
> >speakers, before I upgraded them (Old: Celestion DL6mkII;
> >New: Mission 752).
>
> Nothing much, really.  We're pretty much in agreement that a
> solid amplifier anchors a quality system.  Here we are in that
> old "apples & oranges" zone again.  Play any of them through
> a sub-standard pair of cones, and you'll just get higher quality
> rattle & hum.  Still, can't argue with the logic & reality present
> in the issue of amp efficiency & clarity.  I've always liked the
> automobile analogy; if you buy a Hyundai, you're definitely
> going to notice the step up when you get behind the wheel of
> that Lexus.  And when you finally sit down in the back seat
> of the Rolls, well...
>
> Yes, I'd much rather listen to the Levinson... =)

This is *wildly* off topic, but buried somewhere in the depths of my
collection, I still have the infamous Audio "Best of '88" issue, where
demonstrated the sturdiness of a "home audio" (yeah, if your last name
is Rockefeller) amplifier by using it to arc-weld 2 pices of steel
together.  ;-)

Also in that iss were those $65,000/pair Infinity "home" speakers that
Infinity will *only* custom install.  And yes, the Audio team saw fit
to point out certain deficiencies in their sound, which would make
them unable to *really* satisfy the true audiophile.  ;-)

Steve
swann at panix.com