HW: 1st Album

Max Wilcox s333271 at STUDENT.UQ.EDU.AU
Thu Nov 28 08:27:54 EST 1996

Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:

> On fre 29 nov 1996 00.57 "Andrew A. Apold" <mordru at MAGG.NET> wrote:
> > My first album was "It is the Business of the Future to be Dangerous"...
>
>      My gods!  You are to be commended for surviving that and still moving
> on to Hawkfandom!

        Actually, to combine two threads here, the psychedelics one and this
one, I'll give a little anecdote...
        Listening to It is the Business while pursuing, with a friend, our
"experiments" with the ol' lysergic dethelymide, an interesting thing
occured. First, we discovered that a picture in Alien4 fitted in exactly
with a picture in a timothy leary book I was reading at the time - it
was the classical one with the person reaching to the stars and whatnot
- the black and white one. Both books has a similar same picture, though
the Leary one was altered somewhat. We discovered that if we placed the
Alien4 one over the top of the Leary one, they would fit perfectly. This
was extremely "important to the cosmological nature of things" at the
time, as is usualy the case in such situations.
        We then listened to "It is the Business...", and proceeded to be
physicaly taken on a "Hawkwind rollercoaster Ride Inc", physicaly seeing
the music of which we listened. We discovered several things about the
music that night - the main being that the album went in and out of
"Hawkwind mode", that is, for example it would go into an eastern theme,
then slowly  would move back to the traditional HW style. We could hear
in Tebet is not China, the monks (or whoever the chanting stands for)
moving from left to right speaker, symbolising a culture moving into
Tebet, conquering it. In Space (not Palestine), or whatever it's called,
two positions are conjured - palestine in the first part, and space in
the second. Etc etc.
        This night is the reason for me actually liking this album quite a lot.
It is my belief that there is actually something usefull to be taken
from LSD, though quite often, it can be very detremental to the user.
        Please note that I'm not advocating the "it's usefull to listen to
music under the influence of Psychedelics" kind of argument. I'd say
that I prefer to listen to them straight, as the music seems to have
it's own mind altering properties.
        I promise this is the last time I'll rant about drugs here.

        "Virgin love and take drugs!"
                                -ICU

-Max Wilcox