HW: Hawkwind

SKARSOL skarsol at EROLS.COM
Sun Oct 6 12:17:45 EDT 1996

Max Wilcox wrote:

>         Actually, pre-70s, Floyd had shitty equipment, too. In fact, some of
> the Boots I've got of them in those days are quite shocking. I think
> they made up for it for being the "loudest band in London", as they
> where known as at the time.

pre seventies doesnt really apply i think,it was in the seventies when hw started
watching.and also when the world started watching.i mean,ask any member of the band if
they had the sound they wanted in those days and they would say something like-
'well we did the best we could with what we had.'
   i can remember one interview with either del or dikmik where he said that
floyd had this huge moog or somesuch,and fretted that they were gonna get left behind..

>         How did the media treat them in those days? I don't realy know much
> about their reception by the public and the media, other than a from a
> few years back.

one statement i saw,i believe it was on the back of one of the samurai releases,
called them 'the band you love to hate'.i think they were viewed as 'stinking hippies'
and probable subversives.<sp?>
i wasnt conscious of them then,all of my info is retro,so i dont really know,just
have impressions.i do know that they were investigated for possible terrorist
activities,but of course they were clean.
i think the space ritual material nicely fits into the same catagory as the music from
meddle,and relics.i may be wrong,butif someone asked me what early hw sounded like,
i would ask-'do you like early floyd?
rj