Bolle

Wed Oct 16 11:57:42 EDT 1996

Just a few more reactions to a few comments here:

>I don't recall anyone slamming Bolle for the beliefs he holds.

I'm referring to some of the recent reaction on BOC-L to his comment.
"Slamming" might not have been the best choice of words, but my point
was that some of us are rightfully put off by Bolle's comment ("BOC-L
sucks"), and my observation was that there is a perception that BOC-L
is negative - to which some on this list in the past have stated that
they aren't afraid to say something sucks (in reference to BOC albums,
songs, or even members) if that's what they feel.  Well, Bolle has
merely done the same.

>his BOC *opinions* appear to be at least 90 degrees out of phase
with my own, so when he starts in, I normally file them in /dev/null.

Alot of his opinions differ from my own as well -- but don't necessarily
file them in /dev/null.  They may be different, but they aren't worthless.
His method of expression may put some off, but that doesn't mean we
shouldn't examine the opinions because they are out of phase with our
own.  Perhaps not to be taken as gospel, but valid nonetheless (as are
all of ours).

>So, what you're saying is, Bolle is entitled to say whatever he wants
he wants about anything, but we aren't?

I don't think that was what was meant.  If Bolle came *onto this list*
and stated "you all suck", I'd be much more offended than him stating
his opinion of us on another group.  I think we are all entitled to our
opinions.  Those of you who wish to voice your displeasure over his
comments are IMHO certainly welcome to do so.

>Well, anybody's who's so free with his opinions must be used to what
people think of him by now.

Yep, I believe he is -- and my guess is that he doesn't lose too much
sleep at night worrying about what anyone thinks of him.

>I'd be a lot more grateful if he would stop using other lists and
newsgroups as forums for launching his imbecilic attacks on this
list and its readers.  He's been doing this for a long time, and
I'm out of patience with him.

You've lost me on this one.  I do recall a previous post by Bolle
that was not directed specifically at BOC-L, but where he did mention
alot of naive thinking (something I referred to in my last post), but
other than that, I don't know what he has done that you refer to.  He
once made a comment to me which I posted here (which, as someone later
pointed out to me, was wrong because I mis-represented him) that he
was "against other internets" - but he was referring to using other
forums than what he could get from AOL, and was meant as a reflection
of his (at the time) fairly low-tech computer connection, and not as
a direct slam against BOC-L or any other list.  My personal apologies
if you were referring to this comment which I posted awhile back as I
twisted his meaning.  Not that that changes his more recent comment.  If
you have other examples of these attacks that you referred to, I'd be
interested in knowing of them.

>If I worried about all the things Bolle said that
irritated me, I would be pissed off all the time. He speaks his mind and
let the chips land where they may. And BOC-L need not feel alone.

Yep, I've talked with him on a few subjects other than BOC (although
not too many), and he'll let you have his opinion.  But, it's just
his opinion.  Despite the fact that I think he's a cool person (despite
the recent comment) and that he has done most BOC fans quite a service
with the fanclub (and me personally with the FAQ), his opinions are
just that - opinions.  Feel free to disagree with him as you will.  My
apologies if by speaking highly of him in the past, I led anyone to
believe he is the penultimate authority when it comes to public opinion.

>In my opinion, transcribing quotes from another area to bring about a
negative reaction is a little uncalled for. However, whatever!!

I have mixed feelings about this.  While I don't in general agree with
trying to stir up trouble, I think that if someone is posting to a public
forum about us, we have a right to know about it, and should feel free
to respond.  I don't have access to alt.music.blueoystercult, so I
unfortunately will miss most of any responses to his comment there.  If
there are any of note, I would be grateful if someone could post them
here.

John