OFF: Re: disturbing e-mail

M Holmes fofp at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Mon Oct 21 22:22:50 EDT 1996

Karl Hiller writes:

> > Andy C writes:
> >
> > > A number of people in the Microcenter have received spam e-mails from an
> > > account at AOL claiming to be selling child pornography.  If you receive
> > > this message could you let me know as I am contacting AOL and possibly
> > > the police to complain about the rather sick perpetrator.
> > > Andy C
>
> I just received one today, claiming to be from "Steve Barnard" and
> offering to sell or trade child pornography.  It has a real snail mail
> address, which makes it pretty plain to me that somebody is trying to get
> this guy in trouble (and it's probably succeeding...)  Even stupid people
> know that AOL and the FBI have worked together on these cases.
>
> Slander may not be as bad as child pornography, but it would still suck
> to have some asshole send out spam email like this with *your* name and
> address on it, wouldn't it...?

Yeah. Some schoolkid hacked my account and sent obscene email to two
girls in his class from it. Bummer explaining to the Dean. Then I had to
spend hours with system logs figuring out who it was. Then there's the
embarassment of screwing up with a password bad enough to be hacked.

I can't imagine how bad a worldwide spam like this would be.

> Karl

FoFP