Rock Legends

Christian Mumford mumford at EUNET.NO
Thu Sep 5 05:44:15 EDT 1996

J Strobridge wrote:

> Christian Mumford writes:
>
> > I had a one of those sleazy 4CD compilation sets called "Rock Legends"
> > which had some Hawkwind and Blue Oyster Cult live material on it. I
> > think the Hawkwind material was Space Chase (from Levitation),
> > Brainstorm (from Live '79, I think), and maybe Earth Calling and a few
> > other ones. The BOC stuff was a very cool live version of Born to Be
> > Wild, which rocks so hard it sounds like everything starts crashing
> > apart towards the end, and a live version of Don't Fear The Reaper. It
> > also had some worthy Motorhead material on it. Does anybody know
> > excactly the source of these recordings?
>
> I don't think this compilation ever made it into the Codex simply because
> I wasn't prepared to buy 4CDs just to get 4-ish Hawkwind tracks that
> already existed on albums (ooops - my Kollektors persona is clearly
> showing signs of wear...).   I strongly suspect that the Hawkwind tracks
> are all from their original albums but if anyone has the compilation and
> would like to give the appropriate tracks a quick run through to check
> this then we could update the Codex accordingly!

The only studio version was 'Space Chase', and I'm pretty sure
'Brainstorm' was off Live '79. As for the others, I believe they were
live 'Earth Calling' (I have this version on a HW compilation
somewhere), and maybe live 'Ghost Dance' (I think the same as on
HW/British Tribal Music) and I'm not sure, the live 'Space is Deep'. I
simply bought this second hand very cheap, taped the stuff I liked off
it, and traded it off a week later for a used _real_ CD somewhere....
But, both 'Rock Legends' and 'Metal Masters' (which also has some HW
tracks listed) are availible from Blackmail at low prices.... like £
15-20 per 4 CD set. Check the latest Record Collector for their
address....

Christian