HW:Absinthe

Scott Heller (617) 724-7762 HELLERS at A1.MGH.HARVARD.EDU
Thu Sep 26 07:32:00 EDT 1996

       On the subject of absinthe, my wife makes this at home and it is quite
       tasty. It is a very simply recipe:

       anise
       fennel
       wormwood
       mellissa
       hyssop
       85% ethanol (diluted to a final of 70% when finished)

       The wormwood is a brown branchy type herb and does not impart any
       green color. Although tujone is the active ingredient that is supose
       to cause the brain damage, we beleive that it is really the high
       alcohol content that really gets you... The tujone concentration is
       not all that high. It may alo be that the wormwood we get here in the
       US has a lower tujone content as well.

       Scott

       obCs- Govt' Mule- Atlanta 12/4/96