HW: Silver Machine Single variations

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Wed Apr 9 23:02:51 EDT 1997

If anyone gets to the end of this and is still interested (?) you'd
better keep this mail safe somewhere - I don't plan on re-doing it!

John Majka writes:

> Also... can anybody state authoritatively what the distinguishing
> characteristics of the original Silver Machine single might be?  I have what
> is supposed to be an original pressing, but I don't know for sure....  It
> has the monkey looking through the gears on the front cover and lyrics to
> 7X7 on the back.  There was mention of a gatefold on the original....?!!???

There are two versions of Silver Machine in gatefold covers but these
were produced as a double set in America and Germany.   The US double 7"
set comprises Hurry on Sundown/Master of the Universe and Silver
Machine/Orgone Accumulator and was issued to promote their American tour
in 1973.   The cover is the white Doremi logo on a black background on
both sleeves.   The German double set comprises Silver Machine/Seven by
Seven and Lord of Light/Born to Go.   The sleeve is a green background
with pale green and white writing.  The inner fold is a photo of the
band looking ummmmm ...spaced?

The original UK 7" is the Monkey cover as above.   The important thing
to check tho' is the lettering round the run-off groove on both sides of
the disc.   Most of them will have the letters A-1U on the A side and
B-1U on the B side.    It was however reissued with slight changes to
the intro and these have A-2.   I think there is also a B-2 around as
well.   These are extraordinarily difficult to find and probably worth
nothing at all except to fanatical Kollectors but it's worth checking
each Silver Machine 7" you come across.   Later there was a plain
sleeve release (also A1 and B1) and in 1978 it was reissued in a white
sleve with black Doremi logo.   The run-off groove numbers are now A3
and B3.

There are Dutch, German and Israeli versions with different covers
and then the 1983 reissue with a black sleeve background and white
Doremi logo.   The run-off groove reads 4A and 4B and there's a
plain sleeve version of this too.

The 7" pic disc has the silver Doremi logo on one side of the disc and
the Warrior album cover pic on the other.   Some versions of this pic
disc play the Beatles on one side instead of Hawkwind!

The above are all Silver Machine/Seven by Seven

After that came Silver Machine/Psychedelic Warlords; Silver Machine/
Magnu and Silver Machine/Urban Guerilla.

ok - you can all go back to reading 'High Fidelity' now  8-)

jill

obgroupDefinitelyInNeedOfReissue> Neu

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk