ADMIN: An amusing/interesting note and my reply

Christian cannibal at CUTEY.COM
Tue Aug 5 13:16:25 EDT 1997

Anonymous "real BOC fan" writes:

>>As moderator, I thought you might be interested in why I am
>>unsubscribing to the BOC-L today.  My husband and I are big BOC fans
>>and have seen them perform in excess of 50 times.  We listen to all their
>>albums.

Maybe they should get a badge of honor or something?? Get wax mannequins of
themselves in BOC T-shirts, walkman's & holding tickets put up at Madame
Tussaud's or the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame????????

>  I subscribed because I thought I'd get some current info on their
>>itinerary.  We are really interested in where and when they are playing.  It
>>took me two weeks of research to find out who and what HAWKWIND is.
>>>From what I could find out, it appears they are a British band who is riding
>>the coat tails of BOC.  I am not interested in Hawkwind so I am
>>unsubscribing.

Puuuh-leeez!!!! There's barely much connection here, other than being
somewhat sci-fi oriented heavy rock, and if they really need to know, some
of Moorcock's material was used before BOC made songs out of them... Not
that that matters, they are both great bands, both very original,
intelligent and innovative in their own way. "On the coat tails of BOC"???
Hawkwind had released 2 or 3 albums by the time BOC put out their first.
Again, why should it matter.... not that either bands sound much alike
anyway. And if this person can't figure out how to set filters or
unsubbing, is that really the admin's fault? Or any listmembers? If it took
this person 2 full weeks to type "Hawkwind" in some search engine, look
them up in a rock dictionary or go to a record store, OR JUST READ THE
GODDAMN HAWKWIND POSTS THAT FLOODED THEIR MAILBOX, then this person is
nothing less than a total and complete *dullard*. (boy, I love that word,
has a nice archaic and snobbish ring to it!)

>  Even though I tried to confine my subscription to BOC
>>only, many of the numerous messages are about Hawkwind or other
>>groups.  Unfortunately, I don't have the time to weed through all that.
It is
>>too bad the real BOC fans couldn't stick to the subject.  I am only telling
>>you this as a courtesy and not trying to upset or anger anyone.  I would
>>appreciate it if you take my message the same way.  Good health to
>>you.....

Yeah, remember BOC fans: you are only REAL BOC FANS if A) you **only**
listen to BOC **all the time** and have **all** their albums, have seen
them live in every single dive from Paterson, NJ to Skokie, IL, and
preferably base a marriage around it, B) have seen them over 50 times, and
C) you are stupid enough to take offense at a lively and intelligent forum
of good people, a forum that doesen't narrowly worship an old rock band
around some obsessive cultish fantasy. (hey, I got my HW shrine, but I have
to admit 40 % of it sucks!! :-). I don't think reading this makes anyone
angry or upset, hell I thought it was a riot....

Wasn't there some heated discussion some time ago about AOL members calling
BOC-L snobbish or elitist???

As true and intelligent as your reply was, I don't think any of it sank in....

(hey, that last sentence of mine WAS snobbish!! So was much of my other
comment.... heehehehehe!)

Christian