HW:NY mini tour participants

DAMON CAPEHART monsieur at MYMAIL.NET
Wed Aug 13 09:02:08 EDT 1997

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997 20:33:14 -0400 Chris Raymond <chrisr at TIAC.NET> wrote:
>The way I think it will happen is that the Coney Island High gig will end
>about 3 or 4 AM and then I will have to drive directly to the campground. I
>have not estimated the time yet, but it looks like it could be around 8
>hours.

Differing web resources estimate driving times between 6.5 and 7.5 hours.

Speaking of, I have a question:
Two different browsers give me two different routes from NYC (Newark, really)
to Sherman.  Both are approximately the same length (about a 10 mile
difference - 370-380 miles).

1) through Pennsylvania, mostly on US-80 (two hundred something miles), then
north (via a number of turns) to Hwy 17 about half an hour east of that small
lake near Sherman.

2) Just a bit on US-80, then north into NY and west on some highway (I forget
which one) for the bulk of the rest of the trip.

Question:  Which do you think will be faster?  Are the cops in either state
(NY or PA) more strict about speeding than in the other?

Web resources that I've checked with are www.mapsonus.com and
www.mapquest.com, as well as one other that I can't remember.  For "fastest
route", mapsonus shows the PA route and mapquest shows the NY route.

To get the same results that I got on each, submit either *Newark, NJ, to
Sherman, NY* or *Parsippany, NJ, to Sherman, NY*, but just be consistent.

Thanks,
Damon