OFF: Y&T and singing bass players

Ted Alger talger at PIPELINE.COM
Tue Dec 2 23:09:00 EST 1997

>Haven't gotten Endangered Speicies yet, waiting for it to go domestic to
>save a few bucks.  I love Phil's singing but then again I'm a sucker for
>a bass player who can "twang" an sing at the same time.  Phil K, Lemmy,
>some guy name Joe Bouchard 8>), the late Phil Lynott, Larry Graham and
>oh the two best ever Doug Pinnick and Geddy.

oh...well, probably what I'm gonna do too....funny, I agree with you
about the other singing bass players though...maybe it's just the lyrics
on that particular song...."Squeeze" never really bothered me; I can't
remember if Phil sang any of the Yesterday and Today stuff

>Ted>and did you ever get the Best of King's X disc?
>
>Another on my list to purchase.  I'm torn over this one.  KX is one of
>the few bands I actually collect.  This one is released on Atlantic and
>I hate the thought of putting a penny in their pocket period, but it is
>KX.  Three new studio songs and a live version of Over My Head makes it
>too tempting.

in my opinion, this is a must have...I love the 3 new songs and the
remastering Ty did on the tracks from the first 4 albums is great....
in fact the live OMH is kind of the least important to me..though the
middle section with the guitar swells and Doug's ad libbing are cool

>Ted>finally, is Savatage really that good?  I remember the "Dungeons are
>Calling"
>era....last I remember hearing was "Gutter Ballet" and I wasn't too
>impressed....in fact I thought Oliva was down right annoying...
>should I give em another try?
>
>Well its all opinions but I say Hell Yes!  This band has the right
>amount metal and prog to make me salivate uncontrollably.  Whats more
>they always seem to have some wicked guitarist.  The late Cris Oliva is
>one of the best I have ever heard.  Alex Skolnick does Handful of Rain
>after Cris dies and tears it up and then Al Pitrelli (sp) caps it off
>with DWD.  I love Gutter Ballet, BOC should cover the title track would
>fit them well.  Its also the beginning of the change from sheer metal to
>a more progressive approach. I agree Jon's vocals are like Lemmy's, you
>gotta get used to them, but get anyone of the disc where Zak sings (Edge
>of Thorns, Handful of Rain, DWD and the new one Wake Of Magellan)  and
>you get magic, that guy is great.

well, you may have convinced me....I always DID like Alex Skolnik...he
impressed the hell out of me when I saw him playing with Stu Hamm..he
was playing Satriani and Johnson's licks without batting an eye and
putting his own into the tunes at the same time....I just thought that
Gutter Ballet and Hall of the Mountain King were just too cheesy

>cha-ching cha-ching another opinion from the ROX/SUX guy.
>
>lil' ab

so when are you finally gonna get to one of the "local" BOC shows?
(ok, so Bethlehem wasn't exactly local.....3 1/2 hours for me, but
it was still a good show, and it was fun BS'ing with Woody at the
sound desk)

Ted