OFF: Truth (oh no) and Shock Rock

Guido Vacano gvacano at BEAVER.MBB.WESLEYAN.EDU
Wed Dec 3 11:24:49 EST 1997

lil ab says--

> Manson, GWAR and the like are simply following the trend of appealing to
> the lowest common denominator.  The real shame of it all is that our
> children our overloaded with this mega bombardment of negative images.

You may have a point there--but rather than limit the choice of the adult
to be bombarded by these "negative images", parents should, well, parent.
Let's not have Big Brother telling us what we can or cannot see. IMHO, a
far more dangerous and insidious form of image bombardment comes to us
every day through our television sets. I think the main role of TV is to
turn us into a bunch of consumer sheep who can be easily controlled. Pink
Floyd's _Animals_ ain't too far off.

> Each and every parent needs to be on guard against this assulat on our
> children.  My kids don't listen to Manson or Gwar becuase THEY have no
> desire to.  They saw footage of GWAR and thought they were clowns.

They ARE clowns! I don't know much about GWAR, but I get the impression
that they are just doing a "comic book" thing, and that they don't take
themselves seriously. It's a theater of the absurd.

> Well
> grounded kids and I'm proud of them.  If you have concerns about the
> impact of this stuff on your kids talk to them about it, keep the lines
> of communication open with them.

Amen. If you're a parent, you have a tremendous responsibility. Passing
that responsibility to anyone else (i.e., the government) is a cop out.

> As for me I lump those guys in the categopry of music that just dosen't
> interest me, its not good or bad.

Ditto.

Guido

--
If nothing is done, then all will be well.  -- Lao Tse