Off: Swastika Lemmy HW

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Wed Dec 3 20:31:41 EST 1997

On ons 3 dec 1997 08.34 +0000 "Hoarse Whisperer"
<beautiful_foot at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
> I did not know any of this stuff!  Who tells you these things??  Do you
> have any Lemmy interviews you could share with us, he's seems to be an
> interesting person, but I never see very much of what he says in print.

     Well, there've been a few on-line interviews (and you can always Ask
Lemmy at www.imotorhead.com), but I definitely remember a magazine article
from a few years back (possibly in Bass Player?) where the interviewer
talked to Lemmy in Lemmy's flat, which is adorned with his Kollection
(including, I vaguely recall, a place setting from Hitler's tableware!).
     Not surprisingly, the interview was somewhat taken aback by this and
asked Lemmy about it--also not surprisingly, Lemmy was quick to make his
views plain.

     Recall, for example, Al Bouchard's mention of some of the wacko types
that ealy BOC ran into, after they did Secret Treaties.  I remember
mention of some jerk in SS regalia accosting them backstage in the belief
they were crypto-nazis of some kind.
     Of course, a significant number of BOC were Jewish--the subtle
pseudo-Nazi imagery was a bit of the shock rock thing.  But it's easy to
how it backfires.

> You have to respect a down'n'dirty rock star who appears as the hero of
> a life insurance tv commercial.

     Now _that_ I didn't know.  It's a brave man that would insure Lemmy's
life!

--
Carl Edlund Anderson
Dept. of Anglo-Saxon, Norse, & Celtic