Rush fans on BOC-L

Stephen Swann swann at MINDVOX.COM
Wed Feb 5 15:00:05 EST 1997

John Majka writes:

> huge HW fan, I must admit that many of the fans (of both bands at BOC-l)seem
> like stuck-in-the-mud types with musical interests that ceased growing
> approximately 20 years ago.  I mean there have been an awful lot of great
> bands from every time period, and I guess I just get a little upset
> sometimes with the narrowness of some people's tastes.  Does anybody on this
> list buy music by relatively "new" bands which aren't related to HW or BOC?
> I sometimes wonder.  I own 90+ Hawkwind and Hawkwind spinoff CDs in addition
> to countless bootleg tapes, videos and vinyl, but just to cite my diversity
> (or possible lack of) I also own releases from bands such as:  Guided By
> Voices, Cocteau Twins, Thin White Rope, Pale Saints, Flying Saucer Attack,
> Dinosaur Jr., the Cure, Smiths, Morrissey, Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Husker Du,
> Naked Raygun, Current 93, Smashing Pumpkins, Stereolab, R.E.M., Lush, Swans,
> Superchunk, Throwing Muses, His Name Is Alive etc.  Of course there are the
> expected favorites like Tangerine Dream, Can, Gong, Ozric Tentacles etc. also.
> I don't know what this proves.

...that your tastes are just as time-locked as anybody's, but in a
different decade?  ;-)

I mean, aside from some Seattle and Chapel Hill stuff, that list
basically looks like Attack of the Killer 80's.  Good stuff, mind you,
I like a lot of the same bands.  But they hardly demonstrate that
you're any more "current" than the average BOC-L member, many of whom
are very well versed in the modern music scene.

> Just thought you'd be interested.

Well, I'm not really sure what you're trying to prove with this,
either.  But I *am* pretty sure that (a) we've got people on this list
whose diversity of taste will make you feel downright plebeian, and
(b) none of us really wants to engage in this dick size war over
musical tastes.

If you're just trying to prompt discussion of other music, well...
it's not an idea entirely without merit, except that the the focus of
this mailing list is kept *deliberately* narrow, in order to keep the
(already overwhelming) volume of discussion down to a merely deafening
roar.  Imagine if we opened the floodgates... most of us don't *have*
that many hours in the day.  ;-)

If you're trying to insult people, well, we'd appreciate it if you
didn't.  We've gone that route before, and nobody gains much from it.

By the way, if the former is the case, you might consider signing onto
irock, the Imaginitive Rock discussion list.  It's a smaller, less
"trafficky" mailing that I run, and handles a lot of the spillover of
marginally topical material that really doesn't belong on BOC-L (we're
currently engaged in a discussion of the state of modern metal, for
instance).  Drop me a line if you're interested; the list is closed
subscription, in order to avoid spam and such.  The invitation goes as
well to anyone else who thinks that they might be interested.

Steve
swann at panix.com