Rush fans on BOC-L

dench M.G.Dench at BTON.AC.UK
Thu Feb 6 03:45:22 EST 1997

I have a little trouble with the terminology used to describe groups such
as Rush and Yes.  To my mind, the word 'progressive' implies just that,
progression.  So, I would say that bands like Henry Cow and Can (at least
in their earlier days) were progressive.  Bands like Rush, Yes and Genesis
I would hesitate to describe, not wanting to cause upset to their huge
armies of fans, but to these ears they have not done much progressing
since the early 70's!!!  Regression, well, that's another matter
altogether.

But, I guess it is hard to define what exactly is both 'heavy' and 'metal'
about certain rock bands, although I have no trouble accepting that
Motorhead are 'hard'!

No offence meant, btw.

Martin