OFF: What is progressive ?

Alex S. Garcia asg at IMAGINET.FR
Thu Feb 6 06:20:38 EST 1997

>I have a little trouble with the terminology used to describe groups such
>as Rush and Yes.  To my mind, the word 'progressive' implies just that,
>progression.  So, I would say that bands like Henry Cow and Can (at least
>in their earlier days) were progressive.  Bands like Rush, Yes and Genesis
>I would hesitate to describe, not wanting to cause upset to their huge
>armies of fans, but to these ears they have not done much progressing
>since the early 70's!!!  Regression, well, that's another matter
>altogether.

Yes, "progressive" means "progression". And even if it may not seem as those
have progressed much with the years, I don't think that's the point. I think
what "progressive" is all about is "progression" in one given track. I mean,
take just about any song from Yes, Rush or (early) Genesis and you'll have
to agree that it sounds as if there were several songs happening all at the
same time. Progressive is progression, but also richness of texture and
complexity in music. I think the term fits fine for those bands.

>No offence meant, btw.

None taken :-)

Alex S. Garcia.

Become a Patternwalker ! Visit Corwin's Pattern...
  http://members.tripod.com/~Mandor/
  (with links to the Icarus Encyclopedia, Artefact, Rock
  In Progress, Slash, Micronos and more to come...)