OFF: Kerry Livgren

Alex S. Garcia asg at IMAGINET.FR
Wed Feb 12 14:55:44 EST 1997

>Most of the material on the first two releases, but listen to "Devils' Game"
>and tell me that that don't sound like some down-home preachin'!

Yeah. I guess I have to agree on this one ! :-o

>> "Song for America" was their first LP (at least their first released - the
>> self titled album, which was recorded a year before, only came out in 77)
>
>Wrong, absolutely. The first one _was_ released first, as I remember seeing
>it in the stores in '74. I bought SfA first, but went out and bought the
>first release the next day.

That's very weird. I saw a vinyl copy of "Kansas" (the self-titled LP) one
day and it had a text on the back cover explaining how the album was
recorded between 72 and 74 (if I remember correctly) but that they had a lot
of problems releasing it and that it had only been released in 77 (which was
the copyright date on the cover). I don't recall who signed this little text
(or if it was signed at all), but it sounded as if it was coming directly
from a band member (or perhaps the producer ?). Does anyone have this copy
with the text behind ? It puzzles me...

>Yeah, I stuck with them thru MONOLITH, but that was the end of my Kansas
>purchases (although I did snag POWER from the used CD bins. Don't remember
>being impressed, don't remember much at all of it...)

I think I have all of their albums (with the noted exception of "Two for the
show"), but more for collecting purposes then anything else. I only really
care for the first five albums and the two last ones. "Monolith" is okay
too, I guess, but not quite as powerful as the others, IMHO. BTW, "Power" is
not such a bad album... if you don't consider it a Kansas LP ! To my ears,
it sounds a lot like something Toto could have released (in fact, some of
the regular contributors to Toto albums have worked on "Power") - though not
quite as good either.

Alex S. Garcia.

Become a Patternwalker ! Visit Corwin's Pattern...
  http://members.tripod.com/~Mandor/
Read the Icarus Encyclopedia of Fantasy & SF
  http://www.Catch22.com/~icarus/