HW Tattoos

dench M.G.Dench at BTON.AC.UK
Fri Feb 21 04:01:47 EST 1997

Yeah, I'm not saying she's not British, my point was that she has adopted
a very phoney pseudo-regional accent.  Nobody from Manchester sounds like
she does (unless they're on American TV!).  It's just an observation from
watching US comedies that when a British accent is featured, it is usually
a stereotypical accent.  I am sure that any American watching a British TV
representation of a US accent would feel the same way.

In the UK we even have phoney accents in comedies set in different regions
of the country.  For instance, comedies set in Liverpool have a
stereotypical accent, a sort of exaggerated, refined version of the real
thing.

Daphne's accent is the best thing about 'Frasier'!

Martin