HW Opinions on Nik

Jon Browne jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Wed Feb 26 05:44:36 EST 1997

In message <199702251342.NAA05233 at abel.ed.harlequin.co.uk>, Dave Berry
<daveb at HARLEQUIN.CO.UK> writes
>My impression is that the anti-Nik feeling focusses mainly on (a) his
>performances with HW in the early 80's, and (b) his use of the name
>"Hawkwind" more recently.  Even so, opinion varies widely, with several
>people really liking his early 80's stuff and some people thinking he's
>morally entitled to use the name.  I haven't heard many people slag him
>off for the music he's been playing recently.  My opinion is that it's
>a mixed bag.  Sphynx is pretty good, Anubian Lights is OK, Prophets Of
>Time was bad.  The descriptions of Space Ritual '94 didn't sell it to
>me, but Past Or Future sounds promising.  I must pick it up sometime.
>
>Dave.
>--

Nik is my favorite Hawk. In any incarnation he is the most consistantly
funny, entertaining and enlightening performer. -BUT- calling the band
NT's HW is IMO the only wrong move the guy's made. I would have thought
it beneath his dignity, if nothing else. The music's great, Space Ritual
is a great name, he must have known the challenge to the name would be
doomed. I guess he felt he had to try. Whether he is morally he entitled
to the name, I don't know. He sure as shit ain't legally.

As to this "more original members" line. That's just nostalgia or
somesuch whimsy. Del was in the band, what, three years? Contributed to
three studio and one live album (I know the Live was Space Ritual but
bear with me). Why does that make Alan's 13 years less of a
contribution? There's no way, either Del or Astral Al is more of a
"true" Hawk than Alan. I'm not taking anything away from Del or Al, I'm
trying to point out that the existing DB Hawkwind has "paid it's dues"
Del wasn't there "at the beginning" but he made a significant
contribution. So did Alan Davey. Niether is "original" and frankly, who
cares? Both are brilliant. At the end of the day all these guys have
enriched my life no end and I thank them all. But Hawkwind is Dave
Brock's band. No question.
--
Jon Browne